It's gonna take some guts to post this, but I have a feeling I'm not the only one who struggles with this. I'm realizing that I have never really learned how to resolve conflicts with people who are close to me. I can't remember a time since childhood (sure we fought over toys when I was really little) when I was involved in a conflict at home. I was the oldest and maybe I always got my own way and didn't have to compromise. With two shy brothers nearest my age and sisters at least six years younger, I guess there wasn't anything to fight about. My mom often bends over backwards for us, and my dad, kind of aloof and philosophical, never brought up anything I wanted to fight over. As an adolescent and young single adult, my plan of action was to do what I know is right, do it well, and enjoy the praise and approval of others. If someone close to me did something I didn't approve of, I felt it wasn't worth risking the relationship to bring it up (I realize this is a fallacy because not bringing it up can erode a relationship over time). Growing up, I rarely relied on anyone else emotionally and thus avoided a lot of potential conflict. Yes, there was conflict in my parents' marriage, and I caught snippets of arguments, but I never saw conflicts actually discussed and resolved.
So, here we are at the present. I love Chad, but it's pretty ironic that I married someone who feels it's very important to resolve conflicts and to be open and honest about anything that's bothering you ("open and honest" are euphemisms for what I often feel is "picky and blunt"). He finds himself frustrated from biting his tongue so often, and I often find myself offended, which makes "happily ever after" seem awfully far away sometimes.
I recently read an article in BYU Magazine called "Resolving Conflicts." It makes some great points and offers some helpful advice:
"A number of years ago, emeritus law professor Gerald R. Williams participated in a panel discussion about religion and conflict resolution. A Jewish scholar explained his culture’s approach to disagreement over religious doctrine, saying that “we relish conflict because out of vigorous debate comes truth.” Williams, on the other hand, told the audience that many “in the Mormon culture avoid conflict like the plague.” The wisdom in the LDS approach, Williams believes, is that it preserves harmony and unity within the Church while opening the door to revelation. A downside, he says, is that Latter-day Saints may overlook the fact that conflict in homes, families, and other relationships is a necessary and valuable part of mortal experience. You could say it is part of the Lord’s plan. Conflict is part of the plan? Doesn’t the adversary use conflict to drive wedges between family members? He uses contention, says Williams. Contention arises when two or more people allow a conflict to fester and grow. Conflict is an early warning sign of contention."
I, who indeed "avoid conflict like the plague," have been guilty of allowing it to "fester and grow." I am thankful, although it is hard, that my relationship with Chad is helping me learn how to face conflicts and hopefully resolve them.
More from the article:
"If you have the courage to face your conflicts early, they will be easier to resolve and to learn from."
"If you don’t learn from a conflict, wait a while and it will come around again until it either destroys a relationship or you learn from it."
"Even if you’re in the right in a conflict, if you’re presumptuous and rash you will harm the relationship."
The article says that an important step in overcoming contention in a relationship is "to take multiple leaps of faith for the relationship." I think this is really good advice and am putting it into practice. Although it hasn't really helped me to learn how to resolve conflicts, it has helped our relationship. I understand taking a leap of faith to mean being kind when you don't feel like being kind, sharing your feelings when they might be rejected, and showing love. Anyway, I hope these thoughts help someone out there. Hang in there, whoever you are, we're all just trying to make it after all.
That was an interesting post. I'm glad...it has provoked some thought. I struggle with conflict resolution as well. My experience, however, has been that when I do finally decide to "discuss" something, I almost always regret it later. How do you decide which conflicts to resolve and which ones you just need to let go of? Accepting that someone doesn't do things the way I would do them....or wish they would do them...is a much bigger problem for me. Maybe I'll go read the entire article you referred to.
ReplyDeleteP.S. I'm thankful for dishwashers as well. This year is the first time I've ever had one and I'm going to have major difficulty adjusting to not having one again in a few months.
Thanks for the post Jessica - I am the same way - I hate any kind-of conflict and was just struggling to figure out how to deal with some roommate issues! Can't wait to read the article!
ReplyDeleteyou are DEFINITELY not the only one with this problem!! I am the same way...I don't like confrontations and I would rather just not bring anything up than to get into an argument or big discussion about it. It does make me feel good that everyone else goes through the same things!
ReplyDeleteI also read the article and had forgotten about it. I find it very interesting that your feelings on the topic are similar to Clint's and mine are similar to Chad's. I relate everything to 'communication' and I work at improving my communication so that conflicts are less. I work at being more humble when I feel one coming on, which usually helps me in resolving the issue. I just know it's a lifetime of work.
ReplyDeleteI too liked this post. Now we can say Elle Aaron and you are all the same in this issue. Just the other day Aaron was upset and he wasn't letting it out. It had been going on for three days. I was tired of his mopey attitude. It needed to come out so I started a fight. I got my loose neck going and attitude on and started yelling so he would bring it to the surface. Ever since then he has been more happy then I've seen him in months. I think the sun made the most difference in him being happy. But he had a problem and it needed to be resolved. So I resolved it and we are closer and happier. I didn't change be he did. I hope you understand what I am trying to say.
ReplyDeleteOne thing that helps Aaron understand me more is listen to the words NOT the tone or feelings in the room. Also we can disagree and not have contention and conflict.
I think in Chad's brain he doesn't want to loose you. So he is always in check to have you on the same page. I think we could have a whole therapy session and bring Josh, Melissa, and Aaron in on it too. I have found a lot of this different with me then Aaron because of my parents devoice.
Crystalyn, thanks for your comment. I think Elle said she is like Chad and I am like Clint, so it's interesting that they're opposite the rest of us.
ReplyDeleteListening to the words not the tone is great advice and I need to remember it much more often! Thanks!
Thanks for your post, Jessica. And thanks for putting it on your side bar. As a person who discovered your blog long after it was created, I never would have found the post (and therefore the article) otherwise.
ReplyDeleteIt's 2:30 in the morning, we are in the middle of a conflict and I was looking for a productive way to work on resolving it---in walks your post. I haven't actually read the article yet, but just finding it helps me feel that the Lord is aware of me and my desires. Thanks for being one of His angels for me.
p.s. Merry Christmas!
By the way, as you've had months now to reflect on/work on resolving conflicts in a positive way, do you have any additional insights you could offer?
This is Chad
DeleteYou asked if there is anything more we have learned.
The person that seeks to get it out in the open benifits from having a posted list (ie refrigerator) with topics listed. Put them all on there and pick the easiest first. When you get through the easiest one, reevaluate your feelings and decide if you can handle another one before you go to bed (or whatever)
This gives the "Chads" in the world the feeling that they have been heard and not just ignored.