I'm speaking in Sacrament meeting next Sunday about service and good works. In your mind, is there a difference between these two? What does "good works" mean to you? Thanks!
I think that good works (as opposed to service) can be things that don't directly affect anyone else, things that benefit your own soul and your own relationship with God (i.e. studying the scriptures). In the end, though, things like this indirectly help others too because as you become a better person yourself and therefore can better serve those around you.
I was thinking that you can just go around doing good works all the time. Help someone pick up a dropped coin, etc. It doesn't take any preparing or fore-thought, you just do good works.
Service requires fore-thought and planning. How can I serve my neighbor? I plan on shoveling their snow for them.
So, there is my thought and opinion for you. Good luck on your talk! I'm looking forward to it. :)
I think to let this one roll around for a bit--I'll get back to you.
ReplyDeleteI think that good works (as opposed to service) can be things that don't directly affect anyone else, things that benefit your own soul and your own relationship with God (i.e. studying the scriptures). In the end, though, things like this indirectly help others too because as you become a better person yourself and therefore can better serve those around you.
ReplyDeleteGood works is doing anything good. Service is doing good for the benefit of someone else.
ReplyDeleteI was thinking that you can just go around doing good works all the time. Help someone pick up a dropped coin, etc. It doesn't take any preparing or fore-thought, you just do good works.
ReplyDeleteService requires fore-thought and planning. How can I serve my neighbor? I plan on shoveling their snow for them.
So, there is my thought and opinion for you.
Good luck on your talk!
I'm looking forward to it. :)
By the way, you did a good job on your talk!
ReplyDelete