It's 4:00 in the afternoon, both kids are sleeping, I've covered almost everything on my to-do list for the day, my computer is finally back the 2nd time from the repair shop, and I'm feeling like writing an update on the last few weeks around here.
The Good
I've felt awesome as far as physical recovery goes. By five days past my due date I was so ready to not be pregnant that I have been truly grateful for the ability to bend (seriously, it feels so great) and to sleep on my back. I've started running again (I'm having serious issues with fitting into old jeans). The only physical parts that are suffering are some hemorrhoid issues (bet you wanted to know that) and the general lack of sleep that can be expected for this phase of parenting.
Haven is doing great. At her two-week checkup she had gained a pound and grown an inch. She's already grown out of a couple things. It's been a relief not to have the breastfeeding issues that I had with Jozie before I learned how to help her latch. Haven's actually been quite a natural. She's pretty good-natured. She'll get fussy sometimes in the mornings and evenings, but otherwise she just loves to be close to somebody and is quite content. She'll also often be okay with just laying and looking around too, which is nice.
Jozie seems to be adjusting as well as I expected. I knew it wouldn't be 100% smooth sailing for her. She'll occasionally slap Haven on the head, but most of the time she is really great about running to get Haven a paci when she's crying. She'll go to her, stick in the paci and say "it's ok, it's ok." When people ask about her new sister she will usually proudly tell them Haven's name and point. Sometimes she wants me to hold her like a baby or she'll climb into Haven's car seat or want to lay in her crib. Occasionally she and Haven will both be wailing, and that gets stressful. I think she's doing pretty well as far as sharing attention goes. Chad's been really great about playing with Jozie a lot lately and I think that's helped immensely. My mom and dad have also been spending a few hours with her each week, which she loves.
The not as good
Part of this could really be on the good side, because thankfully we have insurance that pays 100% after our deductible, but we got our hospital bills today and yesterday. The total for everything is going to come to about $17,000. Woo hoo. So much of the stuff on that list wasn't necessary or even wanted by us, which really annoys me. For example, the hospital stuck a bottle of cream in my bathroom that I never opened or asked for. Cost: $25. Also, since Haven was in the nicu she was considered an "at-risk" baby so she got a hearing test for $65 (or is this a standard test? I can't remember). Then there are the tons of antibiotic, fluid iv, and glucose test charges that really weren't needed, for both me and Haven. Anyway, enough of this rant. I won't be having any more babies at IMC, but I'm grateful we turned out healthy and that all of the stuff turned out to be unnecessary.
I've been able to basically get life scheduled. If there are errands to run, Jozie, Haven, and I go in the mornings. Jozie naps in the afternoon. Around 4:00 I try to start dinner so I'll have time to nurse Haven and clean up the house a bit as well. Around 8 or 9 I try to go running. The not so good part is that I haven't figured out how to fit in a good amount of time for Chad yet between all of the nursing and the running. He's getting neglected and I guess a lot of that can be expected while we adjust to everything, but it's still not a good thing. Anyway, I need to figure this part of the schedule out. It seems like by the time all of the "have to's" are taken care of (shower, nursing, diaper changes, etc.) it's after 10 and I'm exhausted, plus I know I'll be up in a few hours again.
Overall I think things are going well so far. I'm thankful for a lot of people who support and help us.
Oh my heck, I know exactly how you feel about Chad! That was so hard for me because you're so tired and all your attention is taking care of that baby. Remember that it gets better because you wouldn't have had a second one if it didn't.=) And the hearing test is normal no matter what.
ReplyDelete$17,000 . . . and so we have a national health care problem. Bunch of crazies.
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear your family is doing well! The girls are adorable.
It is so fun to read your updates! YOu guys have such a cute family! Can't wait to get together soon! Take Care!
ReplyDelete