Saturday, January 8, 2011

Connection

Chad and I went to his annual winter work party last night. It always includes cocktails and a nice dinner with lots of wine. The majority of the group isn't LDS and last night we got into a friendly conversation about wine and why our non-LDS friends like to drink it. They made some good points in favor of it, like how it helps them slow down and relax, and that they have come to appreciate the flavor. I enjoyed being able to ask questions. Later that night I was praying about something, don't remember what, and I felt the Holy Ghost. It made me think about how wonderful it is to feel the Holy Ghost. People who aren't LDS probably don't understand the reasons we never drink anything alcoholic. There are lots of reasons that can be given, but above all I would never want to give up being able to regularly feel the Holy Ghost, and I know that by breaking that commandment, even once, I would be damaging my ability to have the Holy Ghost's companionship. I can see how for people who have grown up with a family and culture that likes wine, etc., it would be hard to see what the problem is and how it could be worth giving that up for a church. Last night I was reminded that it isn't just for a church; it's more than that. The companionship of the Holy Ghost blesses every part of my life and brings me so much irreplaceable joy. I'm so thankful to know about it.

2 comments:

  1. You are definitely the smartest girl I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that you are a smart girl with a lot of good insights. Feeling the Holy Ghost is a great gift that we've been given. I'd hate to give it up.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.