Tuesday, March 29, 2011

His Yoke

Sometimes motives really matter, especially when it comes to happiness. Lately I've had somewhat of a reawakening/re-evaluation of where my motives are or in other words, where my focus is. I've remembered that the test of life is between me and God, and I've found that answering to Him regarding how I'm doing brings so much more happiness than worrying most about answering to anything or anyone else.

The truth is I find unfortunately often that I'm not very good at being married and helping to run a family nor am I very good at helping people I care about. Sometimes it's pretty discouraging. A few days ago I found myself short on answers and started thinking. I remembered that all people are agents, not objects, and that I am the only agent I'm really in charge of. As an agent, my responsibility is to answer to God as far as how I'm doing in this earthly test and how I'm acting in regard to my stewardships (whether that's my marriage, my family, my body, my finances, etc.). When I do something, I need to do it to please God. I have an effect on other agents (by giving them tools or trials), but their main responsibility is also between them and God. Above all, my responsibility is to show God that I am trying to be a celestial spouse, parent, and person so that He will deem me worthy to be that in eternity. That's what matters.

Somehow a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Changing my focus has helped the Spirit flow into my life. I feel more of Heavenly Father's help. And I'm less worried about little things or what other people do or will do in relation to what I do.

I'm thinking taking upon me Christ's yoke isn't so much about enjoying and prioritizing "Church work" as it is about intimately partnering with Him and making Him my most important director/overseer/boss. To have my focus and responsibility be to the One who perfectly understands and loves me is a really great deal, and He's able to provide help - to start - peace, feelings of love in my heart, useful ideas, and lots of hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.