Monday, April 4, 2011

The Brain

I've started reading a book that's fascinating so far. It's called "Change Your Brain, Change Your Life," by Daniel Amen. We have begun to be able to scan the working brain to see how different parts of our brains actively function. Dr. Amen has found amazing things tying brain functioning and our actions and thought patterns together.

I think that the more we learn about the brain, the more we'll probably find that the brain is like other organs of the body. We can strengthen parts of the brain through regular "exercise" and also damage parts of the brain. We can get diseases that alter the brain just as diseases alter the functioning of the body. The brain is not only responsible for our intelligence but also for our moods, emotions, and judgment. Diseases often need medicinal treatment, including diseases of the brain.

I believe that no matter what, the test of life is the same for us all. We are put into imperfect bodies (including imperfect brains) and then we get to choose what to do with them given the tools or trials we have. It really is awfully hard to judge another person accurately, because who knows what body or brain they are truly dealing with.

Learning more about the brain teaches us more about why it can be difficult for us to change. Through our previous experiences, thoughts, and choices, we develop our brains, much as we develop the muscles of our bodies. Altering the way we think takes work and time. It's reminded me of how it really is important to spend some time every day studying the scriptures and praying. That is a wonderful time to think about hopeful things and I think it is good work for our brains. Perhaps the Holy Ghost is a great aid in re-routing the wiring of our thinking.

Anyway, hope these thoughts aren't too out there. I'll probably post again once I've gotten further into the book.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks. I am adding it to my "to read" list. Are you on goodreads by the way... you should be.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.