Wednesday, December 25, 2013

All Things November

I really love to do random monthly photo posts. So much happens each month and it's great to remember it.

We've done tons and tons of bike riding out in the courtyard in front of our apartment. This is one of the best things about living here. It's so great to get together with friends and play outside. With so many friends on bikes, Haven's been very motivated to learn how to ride hers. She learned super fast!


The girl behind Jozie is Signe. She's also 6 and is one of our good friends.
We got Jozie a bike that's more her size and she loves it.

We bought this from the bike store in Taipa.
Chad's mom has been preparing to go on a mission - I thought I'd throw on this beautiful picture of her. We're excited to see where she's called to!


Claire has discovered how amazing oranges are:


Jozie worked for two months at school to earn enough good points to trade for enough stickers to win this prize. She's really proud of it.


She's been playing school and puts our names up on a board and then gives us good points ('o's) and bad points ('x's). I'm not sure what I think about that.


There's a great windowsill next to our bed that's perfect for jumping off of. Claire's got a great superman dive!


Sometimes we ride down to the beach. There are some little shops down there. We got ice cream from one of them. It was a fun little outing but the ice cream was old and had obviously thawed and been refrozen. Anyway, here are some pictures:



We've been improving our quality of life over here by 1) buying a toaster, 2) buying a washer that doesn't leave our clothes smelling like sweat, and 3) buying a dryer. It is divine!



In case you're wondering why the washer and dryer don't match, the dryer that matched the washer had a different weight capacity than the washer, which we thought doesn't make a whole lotta sense, so we went with the non-matching look to get a matching capacity.

The girls are super into using the "I love you" sign. It's awesome. They've also started adding a number that corresponds with how much they're feeling like they love someone, so they'll say "I love you 1000!" or "I love you 1 trillion!"







I found a playground that had some grass in it that was soft enough to take my shoes off:



On church days we've been parking at a lot that's near this main square in Macau, so we get to see neat stuff while we walk to and from church. These were the cars in the Macau Grand Prix:


We ate some interesting foods this month. I like this one which is made in Hong Kong. There are actually several different kinds of these and usually they're sesame seed based with something that tastes like honey.


We also tried this stick of fish paste. It was horrible.


This is a little coconut tart. Since I love anything with coconut I loved it of course.


Some things here seem smaller than I'm used to, like these Pringles and Oreos. I swear there's supposed to be a little more on them.



The girls took millions of pictures themselves. Which puts me in a few.


Jozie's been practicing the piano and is progressing well. We're using Hoffman Academy, which I stumbled across via Google, and we love it! A super nice guy has made videos of lessons that are really good and easy to understand. We pay a small one-time fee (like $50) for worksheets that support the lessons, and that's it! Super convenient and so far a great way to start out with the piano. The girls love watching the videos and then so far Jozie's been learning new songs for an M&M per song. Turns out the teacher is from BYU. :)



I love what Jozie did with this piano worksheet. She was working on rhythm but also wanted to practice the song, so she wrote in the note names and explained some of the beats to herself as well. Piano is so good for our brains.


And last of all, it's Christmas here! The casinos, which feel MUCH more western than the rest of Macau, have made sure they're plenty decked out for the season. Here's a pic of Jozie and Haven when they were on a little date with Chad:


And, we got a real live Christmas tree in a box! It went from Oregon to Taiwan to Hong Kong and then came to us. Today's actually Christmas day (which means you'll probably see a blog about today next month :), and our tree is completely dry.  It's been a super nice season though, although we miss our relatives.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.