Wednesday, July 2, 2008
Material Belongings
I was just reading the July 1st Presidency message by Pres. Uchtdorf and he mentioned how during post WWII his family lost all their material belongings twice within seven years. It got me thinking, what would I miss if I lost all my material belongings? I'm feeling pretty safe right now because a lot of the things I would miss most most are digital things, like all my pictures and this blog. Mozy backs up my hard drive every day (for just $5/month - let me just say that the peace of mind is so worth it) so I can't imagine losing those things. If the entire internet went kaput, then I would miss my pictures most. OK, what else? There's really nothing in this house itself that I would miss a ton. Of course, if losing all our material belongings means losing all our money too, then I would miss having a comfortable place to live, with a comfortable bed and a warm shower most of all. I would miss having a car to drive and a computer to keep me connected to the world. But almost everything that's actually in my house is replaceable. I think what I would miss most, if we were to lose everything, savings, job, and businesses included, would be the hope of a good financial future. Even that though could be begun again, if the political/economic situation at the time made it possible. I'm feeling pretty blessed that I currently live in a situation that allows us to prosper. I'm sure Pres. Uchtdorf learned irreplaceable lessons during that time, but I don't envy his experience.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I love your blog! You are an inspiration to those of us who don't blog more than pictures. Keep up the good work and getting us to think a little about more than the problems that plague our own lives.
ReplyDelete-Kate Mason
Thanks Kate! You're a sweetie and you made my day!
ReplyDelete