Tuesday, October 6, 2009

dad

Me and my dad, 1979

The process of dying

We all know we'll die
one day.
It could be quick, or
it could be the end of
the respite of
a process that seemed sometimes to take too long.
In birth
there is an accelerating
intensity of pain
until one is released
from the womb
and life begins.
Perhaps in death
for some
the accelerating
intensity
of brokenness
weakness
sickness
pain
is preparation
for the release of pain
into new life.

I'm thinking about my dad tonight. The past week or so going to dialysis has made him really sick. He chose not to go this morning. We're hoping he can just decrease the amount of time he spends at dialysis each session and that that'll help him not get so sick but still keep him alive. I hope that works out. I know I will miss my dad when he is gone. I already miss my real dad, the one who used to have the energy to laugh, the one who used to let me climb up on his back after family prayer and who would have races with me.

The process of death is hard to deal with. There's a lot it includes that I would rather not deal with, a lot that is gross, that is socially awkward, that is difficult for a child to see in a middle-aged parent. I wish I were more willing to set that aside and serve. I thoroughly admire my mom and youngest sister and brother, who have borne this part of the process so amazingly well.

I'm glad my dad is still with us. I hope he stays to meet more grandchildren and be part of yet more life events. I owe a lot to him and wish the recent people in my life (Chad and Jozie in particular) knew my real dad, but I'm thankful for the memories and for all of the things he has taught me. My dad was the first one to teach me how to sing in harmony. He taught me to love the smell of dirt (he owned a landscaping business--along with that he likely silently taught me that I could own my own successful business). He taught me to like the scriptures, including Isaiah, and to love figuring out what passages mean when it isn't obvious. He taught me to enjoy hiking, even when we got lost. He used to tell me about our famous and/or pioneer ancestors, and awakened in me a curiosity for genealogy. A lot of who I am is tied to my dad and who he is. There are things he lacks, things he couldn't teach me, but in spite of the reality of his flaws, he is and seems to always have been most of all a person who knows God and who wants so much to be good. I think that's gone a long way in influencing me and all of my brothers and sisters. I pray that he'll have the faith (in himself as well as in Christ) and the strength of character to endure well his last mortal tests.

4 comments:

  1. I was really touched by your post. I am sorry that it is so hard. My mom has kidney failure too although hers is still not too bad... and we are hoping it will take a long time to get to bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's how I remember your dad, too--teasing and adventurous. We would always get very excited when Uncle Dennis was coming (of course the cousins made it even better). I specifically remember running with him through the Aurora foothills after a hike somewhere. I was running so fast to keep up, I had to leap over sagebrush on the downhill slope. I felt like I was flying.

    Our thoughts and prayers are definitely with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost called you last night to talk about your dad.

    I'm so sorry that you are having to go through this already. As you know, I just lost my too young {61} father about a month ago. It continues to affect me every day. {happy & sad}

    After a conversation I had with my step-mother nine months before he died, I had the distinct impression that my time with him in this life was limited. I wanted to write something on my blog about all of the things he had taught me and done for me. {I was thinking that it would be nice if everyone said all the nice things they say about a person at his/her funeral to them while they were still here.} Unfortunately for me, I never did such a thing. I'm thrilled to see that you have done it. I hope someone will read what you wrote to your dad.

    I was blessed to be with my father when he died. While it was one of the most awful moments I ever experienced with him, it was also our most spiritual moment. I can tell you of a surety something that I always believed before I knew it: Heavenly Father wraps his loving arms around His children as they exit this world and move into the next.

    It's not easy for anyone involved in the process, but I know the Lord will be with you and all of your {our} family at this time.

    I appreciate your testimony and your willingness to always freely share it.

    Hang in there. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beatiful post. Thank you for sharing.

    I am reminded of one of my all time favorite poems:

    http://www.blackbird.vcu.edu/v6n2/poetry/levis_l/winter_stars.htm

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.