On Saturday I went to a memorial service for an old friend, Bradford Garrison. I remember Bradford best from being in our stake's version of "Saturday's Warrior" together - he played a great Elder Green. I've felt a bit somber since I heard of his passing - his wife died of cancer a year and a half ago and he took his life, leaving two sweet little kids about ages six and ten. This is the first person at all close to me to take their life after Becca did, and it stirs up feelings from that and makes me sad. Bradford, like Becca and many others who seem to struggle, had an amazing personality and was really loved and lovable.
I was interested in going to the service not only because I admired Bradford but because I was curious about how the service would be. His family is really talented and the memorial was held at a high school. For being in the middle of Mormon culture, it was much more lively and full of personality than our regular funerals. I honestly loved it. It was really, really touching and inspiring. They did a large slideshow, sang a song ("Fix You") to the electric guitar, and his daughter sang "Tomorrow" a'capella. Bradford's body was cremated, and his dad dedicated the urn during the meeting. It was a priesthood ordinance and the prayer he said along with it was so honest and genuine I was so touched by it. He prayed for Bradford, that through the atonement "that we know so little about and hope so much for," mercy could overpower justice, that his being born in the covenant and completing all his ordinances could help him to mingle with souls who love him, and that his mother's "little boy" could be helped and blessed.
I love the celebration of one life that we make at memorials/funerals. If only we would stop more often to celebrate each life day by day as we mingle with each other, we would be filled with so much more joy and gratitude.
Thanks for sharing. My mom works with bradfords sister, so sad, glad you went to the service. It is a struggle, i had a close close friend take his life about 8 weeks ago. It is so hard. You are so strong!
ReplyDelete