Tonight I am tired. I've spent the last three afternoons walking. I've walked in some super awesome places - a Chinese cemetery, an amazing Buddhist temple, two quaint centuries-old towns with streets too narrow for cars, ritzy casino-lined streets. We're trying to narrow down our search as far as where to live and send kids to school. We're making a lot of progress. But it's mostly on foot and it's hard to enjoy this big adventure with three little bodies leaning into me, crossing streets with me, wanting me to hear their every word. About every other day I end feeling like I'm not up to this task. I know that once we get used to wherever we choose to live and learn its secrets, it'll be more than do-able, but right now it can feel overwhelming fast. It seems like outside, a regular day can turn into somewhat of a crisis on a dime - it starts to pour rain, a kid has to use the bathroom and our only option is a squat pot, Claire decides she's absolutely had it with the stroller, we find out we're lost, again (thank heaven for Google Maps).
Tonight as I was putting kids to bed and feeling so beat and tired I took a mental step back to remind myself how neat it was that I can be here with my kids, on the other side of the world. They are pretty great kids too. And people here have been incredibly helpful - someone from the English Branch watched Jozie and Haven all afternoon for me today so I wouldn't have to take them with me to see an apartment in Macau city. Another person who I only know via Facebook is lending me her stroller so I don't have to take my big one on busses. It's incredible.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.