Sunday, June 9, 2013

Church in Macau

We've gone to church four times in Macau now. The first two times we visited the Macau 2nd Branch, which is English speaking and is the branch the Kisebachs (who Chad's substituting for here at work) have been attending. It's a small branch and is mostly made up of women from the Philippines who are here working (for casinos or as maids) and a few businessmen who travel frequently to Macau. The Kisebach kids were the only consistent kids in the branch. Our first visit there was right after we arrived in Macau after a stressful day traveling here from Hong Kong and was pretty overwhelming. We were exhausted, but everyone there was really kind and friendly, especially to Claire who is always a big hit over here with her light hair and blue eyes. :)

For the last couple weeks we've been trying out the adventure of attending church in Chinese. The Macau 1st Branch is Cantonese speaking. It seems to be pretty well established. There are few children and youth but there are some. I have absolutely loved getting to know the Chinese women, who are so kind to translate for me and have been so friendly and fun to learn about. I ask them tons of questions, mostly about the language, and it's really exciting to be starting to decipher a little bit of this mysterious Chinese script I see every day. Visiting this branch has been rejuvenating for me. I go through the week feeling frustrated at what I lack in being able to communicate with and understand about the Chinese people, and then I go to church with them and enjoy them so much. It makes me feel ready for another week of challenge and adventure. The first time we went to the Cantonese Branch was on Fast Sunday. We had headphones and a missionary was translating into English. It was so neat to hear the language, of which I understood absolutely nothing, and then put on my headphones and know that that person was expressing real thoughts and a love for the same gospel I loved. Hearing the translation of what someone's saying at the pulpit feels kind of like snorkeling where if you can get underneath the smooth water you suddenly discover there's a whole additional world you saw nothing of when you were only looking at the top.


At the Cantonese Branch

We're having a difficult time deciding which branch to attend permanently. We would be more useful in the English Branch, but I really love being at the Cantonese one and learning so much about the land we're living in. I think it's where we'll end up, but we'll see. Jozie and Haven are doing fine in either one so far because each Primary class seems to come with a good dose of treats. :) We've started doing family night on Sunday afternoons, mixed with added lessons from the current Primary sharing times and manuals. It's so nice to be able to access that online and help supplement what the kids should be learning.


On the bus going home


Crossing the bridge from Macau to Taipa


Looking at Taipa


Walking home (whine free!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.