Like the emotions involved in any loss, my homesickness comes in waves. Sometimes it's barely felt and other times it seems to pop up a lot. Today I'm feeling quite homesick. What I mostly miss right now is being surrounded by a culture that "gets" me - not sticking out by having three light-haired kids, not feeling particularly loud or boisterous but normal, doing my American mom thing and being celebrated for it. I'm feeling culturally lonely. I guess I miss what I feel is "normal" life.
As a mom I've become awfully selfish with my season of motherhood. All the pinterest ideas and field trips and cute snacks and kid time are truly wonderful, but it's made me kind of selfish about this time, like I don't want to miss out on anything just because I can't find the right kind of glitter glue here or don't have carpet or library storytime or grass. I want to make the most of this motherhood phase and as nice as it sounds to say that "fluff" doesn't really matter, sometimes I miss it. I want to lay on nice soft grass so bad. I want to go camping. I want to take a drive that lasts longer than 10 miles (can't do that here unless you go in circles). I want a baby room that's not in the office and a kitchen where we don't step on each other. I want a preschool for Haven that's not 30 hours/week. Anyway, there it is. Sometimes you have to pick and choose, and I've got to focus on where we are, how it's broadening us (and it sure is) and how we can contribute.
I am soooo glad for friends we've made here who are making our experience here so much better. They are such a blessing to us.
Not everyone gets to go to a foreign county much less live in a foreign country. You are lucky. When you look back I bet you will see a magical time even though it was a hard time. It is a time when you and Haven became close friends. Enjoy what you have because it won't last forever. I admire you. You are one tough cookie. All the women I have ever talked to say, "There is no way on this green earth I would follow my husband there". Chad is lucky he has you. I missed you and your family this Thanksgiving Day.
ReplyDelete