Sunday, October 26, 2014

All About August

We enjoyed our last month of summer immensely. Here are some highlights:

Jozie with her Primary class. We're loving not being the only family with kids anymore!


Window shopping. What do you think about the pig family?!?


Our new pets. These are our family's first pets - two hamsters named Julia and Juliana (though Juliana later became Lizzie).


Bike riding in the park with our friends.


Look at this cool tree with hanging flowers!


Other cool stuff in the park - feeding fish -


Checking out the rock walk - people say it's good for meditating. It hurts!



The beautiful lotus flowers.



We ran out of dishWASHER soap, so someone who-will-not-be-named used a bit too much dishWASHING soap, and we had lots of fun with bubbles! Jozie and Haven were ecstatic!


We got to watch our oil being changed.


Haven and Claire and I went exploring one day in Macau. Look at this exquisite street!! That's the only picture I got before my phone died, but we ended up in this awesome Catholic cemetery full of raised grave boxes and statues.


We celebrated mid-Autumn festival. It always feels like Easter because they put up pastel bunny decorations all over town. Rabbits have something to do with prosperity and harvest but I'm murky on the details. The night of mid-Autumn festival was beautiful, with a gorgeous full moon.


We ate lunch with our friends (this is Uma - she's from Portugal). Interesting pizza right?


Maybe I should stop posting bathroom pictures, but conflict between cultures is so interesting in details like this. I thought this was super interesting.


This was part of mid-Autumn festival. These big metal drums were placed all over Macau so people could use them to burn things for their ancestors.


We had a summer goals dinner right after school started. Haven liked the ice cream best.


Just a cute picture. The little girl next to Claire is Chelsea, our babysitter's daughter.


A painting by Haven.


A painting by Jozie


We flew paper airplanes off a high roof one night.




Hamster time.


Chocolate.



I made a perfect batch of grilled salmon. Not joking. If you want to make perfect salmon, marinate it in 1/3 cup soy sauce, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/3 cup water, 1/4 cup vegetable oil, and sprinkle in some garlic and lemon pepper. Cook 6 minutes on each side.


This is one of the last pictures of my grandma (with a cousin, Jessica Shipp).


And for a while the sun and I were on the same schedule, which meant I caught some gorgeous sunrises.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.