Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Dilemma

So for the past several years I've created a digital scrapbook for our family and printed it in a book. Now since I started my blog (last April) making a scrapbook and keeping up on a blog seems really redundant to me - anything that would go in a scrapbook might as well go in my blog! Here are my questions:

1) What is the value in creating a blog AND a yearly scrapbook?

2) If I just do the blog, should I print it into a yearly book? I can do this through blurb for less than I used to spend on our scrapbook, but is there a point in doing that? I already back up my blog in a Word document and then save that to pdf as well (and my hard drive is backed up daily), so I think it will be safe. Also, I'm currently trying to scan my huge box of old journals to save space, so isn't printing a current blog just overriding any progress I'm making in scanning old journals?

3) Some people say that they prefer reading a book over going through a blog online, but are our kids going to feel that way? I think they'll be just as comfortable reading our family stories on my blog as they would looking at them in a book. Thoughts?

I'd love to hear what other people think about this.

7 comments:

  1. I don't know if it matters.. but I recently I had a friend tell me that Blurb no longer works with blogger. There are other sites... but atleast from what I've found - they're much more expensive. Good luck making a decision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That one could be a toughie...but for me there is no way I could give up the scrapbook! I think it is a personal preference though. My blog will get printed off but I don't include everything on my blog that happens in our life. I would be missing a ton of things that I have scrapbooked. Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should print it off. My girls love our scrapbooks and although they like looking at the blog it just isn't quite the same thing. Plus who knows what kind of systems they will have in the future and how compatible they will be with what we have now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For what it's worth, I'm a paper girl. I love, love, love my blog, but there's something tangible that I will always love about a book. I don't like digital scrapbooking--it's too flat for me. I love the depth of the paper and everything else that goes into a scrapbook. I plan on turning my blog into a scrapbook the traditional way, I'll just use the same journalling and picts. Something I love about my blog is that it forces me to add writing to my pictures. (It sounds like you don't have that problem because you keep a journal, I have long been a slacker in that area.)

    Blah, blah, blah. The bottom line is--this is all for you and your family. I would agree that your children will love the digital format. As a computer teacher of children, I can tell you that they all LOVE technology. If YOU get something from printing it out, then it's worth the expense. Like I said, I can't stand the output of a digital scrapbook, so it wouldn't be worth the expense for me. If it's going to be flat, I much prefer the interactive interface of the blog.

    The choice is yours alone. :)

    By the way, I get a lot out of your blog. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well you know will occasionally still look at your book for 2006 and 2007. We would love one for 2008. But I enjoy bragging and looking at your blog. I tend to agree with Cameron/Melissa will the future technology work with what you have now. Anyone can pick up a book but not everyone can access technology.
    I agree with Jozy, Chad is a celebrity in my heart/house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the little books you make every year--a neat tradition. I think you should keep it up if you can!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.