The first time I visited China was on a Saturday afternoon with Haven. We crossed the border, got in a taxi, and after lots of non-communication and a conversation with the taxi driver's better-English-speaking friend, drove around for a "tour" before deciding where to get dropped off. We ended up in a little town directly across the water from downtown Macau.
Looking over at Macau - great to see it from a different perspective!
We first explored some little tourist shops. Haven found a few things she wanted to buy with her money. Me too!
Next we walked over to a larger shopping area. We wanted slices of this melon, which I thought the lady was selling for 20RMB. Though I thought that was a little high, I was not prepared for each piece to actually be 2RMB! Things across the river are much much cheaper! (2RMB is about 30 cents USD.)
Haven likes these little kid rides. We took a picture in front of these and then a nice man (everyone was in love with Haven's light hair) gave her some money to ride it.
The ride was like 5 minutes long! No joke! I should have timed it! Haven eventually got bored and just got off. So funny.
I didn't try one of these, but these clay pots had rice and meat inside and looked good.
We ended up at this place for lunch - a little lunch buffet spot. Haven was just looking for rice, but the restaurant owner kept trying to get her to try other stuff. He kept bringing me stuff to try too. It wasn't too bad. (I promise Haven's not picking my nose - she still really love the "I love you" pose.)
The buffet - behind this lady is a huge barrel of rice
The rest of the restaurant.
Next to the restaurant were some lovely food stands. You could buy fresh dinner at this one. There was one across the street where you could buy fish. I wanted a video of people buying fish and the fish getting gutted and scaled while their fins were still flapping but it would have been too conspicuous.
After that we wandered for a long time trying to find our way back out of town. I'm so bad at not getting lost, but it was an interesting walk nonetheless.
Ok, I hesitate to post this because I feel bad posting about what seems super weird to me about other cultures, but this was a pharmacy and there were about three people lying in lawn chairs getting IVs of some kind. I didn't get a better picture but there's one person back there on the left. What is that??
We found two HUGE rooms full of ripening bananas in a random open building.
People ALL over the place were playing this game involving plastic rectangular pieces - I think called Mahjong. People love it there! Haven stood and stared at these ladies for a while as they played. :)
After we finally found our way out we walked over to a park that had this marvelous grass!
It was so great to spend the day with my lovely Haven.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.